3 Crucial Ways Drug Addiction Detox Is Like Technical SEO?
Detox. It’s the important first step in an addict’s recovery. Your team knows that a successful detox sets the tone for the entire recovery journey.
You might be surprised that there are the similarities between the detoxification process and technical SEO. Come again? From the surface, detox and technical SEO seem as different as radio and the internet.
Detox and technical SEO are merely the starting point for success (in each respective area). Success in detox means a recovered addict, and success in technical SEO means that your addiction rehab’s website is properly accessed and indexed, so addicts can find your site in their time of need.
Now that we’ve addressed the surface level similarities and are in the middle of the venn diagram, let’s dig a little deeper into how detox and technical SEO align by walking through the detoxification process, step-by-step. This will ensure your rehab marketing team sets the right tone with your addiction treatment center’s strategy to earn more interest and intakes. You’ll learn:
- A definition of Technical SEO in case it’s still unclear to your addiction treatment center team
- A walkthrough of the three main stages of addiction detox and the parallels to Technical SEO to help your rehab marketing efforts
No 404 Errors: A Non-Technical Definition of Technical SEO
To spare your team a 95-point technical SEO audit, let’s simplify the baseline definition of technical SEO. Technical SEO is the process of making your addiction treatment website as accessible to search engine crawlers via Google or Bing as possible. Specifically, technical SEO combines the elements necessary for search engines to discover your site. Technical SEO applies to the search engine crawlers that will ultimately rank your website against your competition.
Like an addict ridding toxic substances from their body, technical SEO rids your website from errors or bugs that would otherwise prevent it from being accessed from the very intakes who need your treatment most.
So, let’s walk through the detox/technical SEO journey step-by-step.
Detox Step 1: Evaluation: Initial Website Audit
Specifically, we’re looking to determine the website’s “health” by auditing your index coverage on your rehab’s website. Index coverage is defined as your website’s footprint in a search engines results pages.
Meaning, what pages are ranking well? Is there any “index bloat”? Index bloat is defined as any extraneous pages that aren’t providing value to your site’s visitors or search engine site crawlers. Your rehab marketing team doesn’t want to take any attention away from your most valuable pages, i.e. your about us page, levels of treatment, etc.
Detox Step 2: Stabilization: Initial Updates
During detox, it isn’t uncommon to have periods of introspection during action, and rehab marketers handling technical SEO can also mine deep into your site by looking at its control files. Website control files are the sources that crawlers reference to determine how they crawl your site. There are two main files – XML sitemap and Robots.txt.
Like the medications and diet that your detox professional prescribes, no robots.txt or XML sitemap are prescribed the same. These will be the source of truth for the way that search engines crawl your website.
Detox Step 3: Transitioning Into Treatment: Ongoing Technical SEO Tactics
During the transition process, your addiction treatment team will be encouraging the addict to enter treatment at their facility, or providing a specific recommendation based on the addicts needs. The ongoing and continuous approach to recovery and health also applies to your technical SEO strategy in that once areas of improvement are identified, they can be monitored and addressed for long-term site health.
There are three ongoing technical SEO tactics our team would recommend for your rehab marketing team:
- 404 error monitoring: This is akin to applying healthy eating habits into an addict’s regiment. For your rehab marketing team, it means regularly checking pages that user’s land on that can be redirected to a better or more helpful source for their query.
- Page speed: A fast performing website is a healthy website, and in the addict’s detox process, regular exercise also promotes a healthy lifestyle.
- Ongoing reporting & benchmarking: Getting an outsider’s perspective is crucial at times to be the healthiest you. In the detox and recovery process this could include any number of healthy activities like yoga, therapy, or meditation. When your rehab marketing team is handling its technical SEO strategy, this could include looking at your competitions website and applying best practices they’re currently using to your site. Basically, it’s applying “good advice” that’s measurable that your treatment center wants to emulate. The ongoing reporting on your site and outside your domain will strengthen the overall health of your digital footprint.
Develop the Right Habits for Your Technical SEO Health
By applying the same best practices to your technical SEO efforts as you do to your intakes, your treatment center will be rewarded in a healthy amount of leads to help you meet your goals. Of course, if your team feels the health of its technical SEO could be improved, reach out to our team. We’ll be happy to identify, diagnose, and prescribe to your unique situation accordingly.